Sunday, June 17, 2012

FTT at the Northern New England BGG Meetup


By Chris Michaud


Panelists Flip, Jared, and myself all traveled to Brunswick, Maine for the second annual Northern New England BGG Meetup, organized by Mark Leaman of Merrymeeting Games. This is one of my favorite events of the year, as it combines two of my favorite things; board games, and traveling to the city with the world's greatest gelato place.


In addition to a full day of excellent games, the event featured a drawing for some awesome door prizes; including copies of Urban Sprawl, The Red Dragon Inn 2, High Noon Saloon, and Maine's own Cabin Fever by Mark Leaman. In addition, Flip the Table provided a copy of Star Fluxx to the prize pool. (For a podcast, giving away a prize is a sort of rite of passage. I think.)


I had a chance to play a few excellent games I hadn't tried before; including The Manhattan Project, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, and even my very first game of Crokinole. Check out this board...its gigantic! I want one so badly, I would throw out some of my furniture to make room...


For me, the day was capped off by running a game of Battlestar Galactica, in which the Cylon Admiral ended the game by choosing a "Missed Jump" destination card. The randomly selected destination cost the Humans 4 fuel and gave the Cylons the win, in one of the awesomest "Admiral-crashes-the-bus-into-the-sun" moments I've seen in a BSG game. If you don't know what any of this means, hurry up and go play BSG. You won't regret it.

HUGE thanks to Mark for organizing the event...and, if you want to catch up with us on BGG, you can do so by clicking on this link...

Flip the Table Guild on BGG


It was a pleasure meeting everyone there, and we're all looking forward to next year!!! Also: Gelato.